Parakram Diwas 2023:
On the Occasion of Parakram Diwas (23rd January) 2023, 21 unnamed islands of Andaman and Nicobar have been named after Param Veer Chakra awardees.
- Netaji’s Memorial, a National Memorial dedicated to Netaji will be built on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Dweep.
- Parakram Diwas is celebrated to commemorate the 126th birth anniversary of freedom fighter Subhas Chandra Bose.
- The islands named after Param Vir Chakra awardees will be the site of inspiration for generations to come. People are now visiting Andamans to learn India’s history.
- Param Vir Chakra is India’s highest military decoration awarded for displaying distinguished acts of valour during wartime whether on land, at sea or in the air.
- It aims to pay tribute to Indian heroes, several of whom had made the ultimate sacrifice to protect the sovereignty and integrity of India.
- The islands have been named after Major Somnath Sharma, Subedar and Hony Captain (then Lance Naik) Karam Singh, Nayak Jadunath Singh, etc.
About Subhas Chandra Bose:
- He was born on 23rd January 1897, in Cuttack
- He was highly influenced by Vivekananda’s teachingsand considered him his spiritual Guru.
- His political mentor was Chittaranjan Das.
- Bose was the first person to address Mahatma Gandhi as the Father of the Nation
- He opposed the Motilal Nehru Report (dominion status for India) and wanted complete independence.
- Became congress president at Haripura in 1938.
- He founded a new party, ‘the Forward Bloc’ (to consolidate the political left in Bengal)
- Indian National Army: He announced the formation of the Azad Hind Governmentand the Indian National Army on 21st October 1943.