Picolinic Acid : Can Block Several Viruses
A new study by researchers at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc.) and collaborators has revealed that picolinic acid, a natural compound produced by mammalian cells, can block several viruses, including those responsible for SARS-CoV-2 and influenza A.
- Picolinic acid(pyridinemonocarboxylic acid ) in which the carboxy group is located at position 2.
- It is an intermediate in the metabolism of tryptophan.
- It has a role as a MALDI matrix material and a human metabolite.
- It is a conjugate acid of a picolinate.
- The study describes the compound’s remarkable ability to disrupt the entry of enveloped viruses into the host’s cell and prevent infection.
- It is known to help in the absorption of zinc and other trace elements from our gut, but, in its natural form, it stays inside the body only for a short duration, and is usually excreted out quickly.
- It is effective against a variety of enveloped viruses, including flaviviruses like the Zika virus and the Japanese encephalitis virus.
- When the compound was tested in SARS-CoV-2 and influenza animal models, it was found to protect the animals from infection.
- It was also found to reduce viral load in the lungs when given to infected animals.
- In addition, the researchers found that picolinic acid led to an increase in the number of immune cells in the animals.