Pinaka Weapon System:
According to defence officials, two South American countries have shown interest in the Pinaka multi-barrel rocket launchers.
- Pinaka is a Multi-Barrel Rocket Launcher (MBRL).
- The Pinaka MBRL is designed by the Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), a laboratory of the DRDO.
- It was first used during the Kargil War, where it successfully neutralised Pakistan Army positions on the mountain tops.
- It delivers lethal and responsive fire against a variety of area targets, such as exposed enemy troops, armoured and soft-skin vehicles, communication centres, air terminal complexes, and fuel and ammunition dumps.
- It consists of a multi-tube launcher vehicle, a replenishment-cum-loader vehicle, a replenishment vehicle, and a command post vehicle.
- The launcher system is supported on four hydraulically actuated outriggers at the time of firing.
- It has a range of 60 to 75 kilometres.