Press Council Of India Chairperson : Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai
Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai, a former judge of the Supreme Court, has been selected for the post of the Press Council of India (PCI) Chairperson.
- Justice Desai had recently headed the Delimitation Commission on J&K which was set up to redraw the Assembly constituencies of the Union Territory.
- The post was lying vacant since Justice Chandramauli Kumar Prasad (retd.) completed his term in November 2021.
- The Press Council of India (PCI) is a statutory organization operating under the Press Council Act of 1978.
- It was formed in 1966.
- It is the self-regulatory watchdog of the press.
- The Council has a chairman – traditionally, a retired Supreme Court judge, and 28 additional members of which 20 are members of media.