R Venkataramani : New Attorney General Of India
Senior advocate R Venkataramani has been appointed as the new Attorney General of India.
- The Ministry of Law and Justice in a notification said, the President has appointed Mr Venkataramani as the new Attorney General for a period of three years.
- His appointment comes just days after senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi declined the government’s offer to become the next AG.
- Mr Rohtagi had earlier served the post for three years and stepped down in June 2017.
- Mr Venugopal succeeded him and was appointed for a three-year term.
- Since 2020, Mr. Venugopal had been given two one-year extensions at his requests.
- However, in June, Mr. Venugopal requested the Law Ministry not to extend his tenure beyond three months because of his advanced age.