Reliance Industries To Introduce Personal Genomic Mapping:
Reliance Industries will introduce personal genomic mapping (PGM) to the Indian market.
- All the genetic information of an organism is called its genome. It consists of nucleotide sequences of DNA.
- Genetic mapping can offer firm evidence that a disease transmitted from parent to child is linked to one or more genes.
- PGM is expected to grow by 2.4 times by 2032.
- PGM can identify and assess genes associated with a disease, and help with healthcare choices and precision medicine.
- PGM provides clues about which chromosome contains the gene and precisely where the gene lies on that chromosome.
- Ethical concerns exist around the possible use of PGM data for “designer” babies and the high cost involved and potential data abuse.