Report On India’s Arms Imports : SIPRI
According to a recent report released by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), the five largest arms importers in the world during 2018-22 were India, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Australia, and China.
Highlights of the SIPRI Report:
- The US was the world’s topmost military exporter in the past five years, accounting for 40% of global exports, followed by Russia (16%), France (11%), China (5.2%), and Germany (4.2%).
- United States’ share of global arms exports increased from 33 to 40 percent, while Russia’s fell from 22 to 16 percent between 2013-17 and 2018-22.
- France’s arms exports jumped 44% between 2013-17 and 2018-22, with India receiving 30% of its exports during the past five years.
- It is an independent international institute dedicated to research into conflict, armaments, arms control and disarmament.
- It was established in 1966 in Stockholm (Sweden).
- It provides data, analysis and recommendations, based on open sources, to policymakers, researchers, media and the interested public.