Rim Of The Pacific (RIMPAC) Exercise 2022:
The RIMPAC-22 exercise will be held in and close to the Hawaiian Islands and Southern California from 29th June to 4th August,
27 countries are participating in the current edition of the multi-dimensional exercise.
- RIMPAC-22 is one of the largest biennial multilateral Naval Exercises, which is led by US.
- The RIMPAC started in 1971 as an annual exercise by the US, Australia, and Canada.
- But from 1974, maritime exercise became a biennial event.
- It is aimed at enhancing interoperability and building trust among Navies of friendly foreign countries.
- Theme for 2022: The theme of RIMPAC 2022 is ‘capable, adaptive, partners.
- India first participated in RIMPAC in 2014 when the indigenously built Shivalik class stealth frigate INS Sahyadri took part in the exercise.
- INS Sahyadri again represented the country in the 2018 edition of the event.
- In between, in 2016, INS Satpura joined the maritime exercise.
- Before 2014, the Indian Navy’s presence in the wargames was only as an observer for the 2006, 2010 and 2012 editions.
- In the current edition, Indian Navy’s INS Satpura and one P8I maritime patrol aircraft are participating in the exercise.