Sapta Kosi High Dam Project:
India and Nepal have agreed to take forward the Sapta Kosi high dam project through further studies.
- Senior officials of the two sides have met and reviewed the bilateral water-sector cooperation, including the implementation of the Mahakali Treaty.
- Sapta Kosi High Dam is a multipurpose project proposed to be constructed on the Saptakoshi River of Nepal (Known as Kosi River in India).
- The project is primarily aimed to control floods in south-east Nepal and northern Bihar and to generate hydropower.
- The project will provide irrigation, control floods and generate 3,000 MW of electricity.
- The Mahakali Treaty was signed in 1996 over the integrated development of the Mahakali River, including Sarada Barrage, Tanakpur Barrage and Pancheshwar project.
- Mahakali River is also known as Sharda River or Kali Ganga in Uttarakhand.
- It joins Ghagra river in Uttar Pradesh, which is a tributary of Ganga.