Science Technology And Innovation (STI) Hubs:
Union Minister of Science & Technology Jitendra Singh today said that the Government will be setting up 75 Science Technology and Innovation (STI) Hubs in different parts of the country, exclusively for Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs).
- This will not only promote scientific talent but also contribute to socio-economic development of these communities.
- Science Technology and Innovation (STI) Hubs being established by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) will develop, nurture and ensure the delivery of appropriate and relevant technologies for inclusive socio-economic development through creation of sustainable livelihoods for the SC and ST population in tune to their growing aspirations.
- The training and skill development programmes under the STI Hubs will build the Science Technology and Innovation (STI) Capacities and Capabilities among SC/ST population.
- The STI Hubs also improve the Indigenous Knowledge Systems (IKS) through inputs of S&T and converting them to appropriate technologies for creating better livelihood options, he added.
- In the last two years, 20 STI Hubs (13 for SCs and 7 for STs) have already been established by DST which will directly benefit 20,000 SC and ST population through various interventions spreading across farm, non-farm, other allied livelihood sectors and various livelihoods assets like energy, water, health, education, etc.
- STI hubs will have mainly three-fold objectives:
- To address the weakest linkages in the predominant livelihood systems through Science & Technology (S&T) interventions;
- Creation of social enterprises based on the strengths in livelihood systems; and
- To improve the Indigenous Knowledge Systems (IKS) through inputs of S&T for strengthening the livelihoods.