Selection Of Vice Chancellors To State Universities:
The Kerala State Cabinet has approved a Bill that could effectively curtail the Governor’s influence in the selection of Vice Chancellors to State universities.
- The issue highlights the conflict between democratically elected CM and centre-appointed Governor.
- Powers of Governor for state Universities: ex-officio chancellor of the universities in that state.
- In Kerala’s case, the Governor’s official portal asserts that “as Chancellor governor acts independently of the Council of Ministers and takes his own decisions on all University matters”.
- Rajasthan’s Raj Bhawan states that the “Governor appoints the Vice-Chancellor on the advice/ in consultation with the State Government”
- For Central Universities: President appoints chancellors.