Sievierodonetsk : Russia-Ukraine War
More than a 100 days after Russia began its invasion of Ukraine, it is the strategic eastern city of Sievierodonetsk that remains the focus of intense fighting in the battle’s current phase.
- Located nearly 140 km south of the Russian border, Sievierodonetsk is one of the largest cities of the Donbas region.
- It is located near the left bank of the Siverskyi Donets river, and has a population of over a lakh.
- Administratively, Sievierodonetsk falls under Ukraine’s Luhansk oblast (province).
- It is a big industrial hub known for chemical works and machine-building factories.
- If the city of Sievierodonetsk falls, then it will allow Russia to control the entire Luhansk region.