Dirty Bomb Attack : Russia -Ukraine War
Russia intends to raise at the United Nations Security Council its accusation that Ukraine is planning a “dirty bomb” attack.
- Russia has warned that the use of the “dirty bomb” by Ukraine will be regarded as an act of nuclear terrorism.
- Earlier, the General Assembly voted to condemn Russia’s “ illegal annexation” of four partially occupied regions in Ukraine.
- A dirty bomb combines radioactive material with explosives.
- Aim: To cause harm by spreading radioactive material that can contaminate an area and poison the human body.
- Different from a nuclear bomb which utilises radioactive materials to create an explosion.
- Material used in Dirty Bomb:
- like Cobalt-60(High-energy gamma emitters)