State Food Safety Index:
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) published the State Food Safety Index.
Key findings of the report:
- After adjusting for a new parameter included in the 2023 index, 15 out of 20 states recorded lower 2023 scores compared to 2019.
- The steepest fall in scores over five years was seen in Maharashtra, Bihar, Gujarat,
- The worst drop has been recorded in the ‘Food Testing Infrastructure’ parameter.
- States including Maharashtra, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, and Chhattisgarh all recorded lower scores for this parameter.
- Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, and Jharkhand, meanwhile, recorded lower scores for the ‘Compliance’ parameter.
- The ‘Human Resources and Institutional Data’ parameter, was given the third highest weightage of 18 per cent in 2023 (20 per cent in previous years).
- The only parameter that recorded significant improvement was ‘Training and Capacity Building’, which was given the least weightage of 8 per cent in 2023 (10 per cent in previous years).