State Of World Population 2022 Report:
The United Nations Population Fund’s (UNFPA) flagship State of World Population Report 2022 titled “Seeing the Unseen: The case for action in the neglected crisis of unintended pregnancy” was launched.
Key Findings of the Report:
- Between 2015 and 2019, there were roughly 121 million unintended pregnancies globally each year.
- Globally, an estimated 257 million women who want to avoid pregnancy are not using safe, modern methods of contraception.
- Nearly a quarter of all women are not able to say no to sex.
- Contraceptive use is 53% lower among women who have experienced intimate partner violence.
- Rape-related pregnancies are equally or more likely to occur than pregnancies from consensual sex.
- Over 60% of unintended pregnancies, and almost 30% of all pregnancies, end in abortion.
- 45% of all abortions performed globally are unsafe.
- In developing countries, unsafe abortions cost an estimated USD 553 million per year in treatment costs alone.