Draft Cycling Policy:Chandigarh:
Chandigarh’s recently released first-of-its-kind draft cycling policy.
- It is for the first time that a city has drafted a cycling policy in India. The policy has been drafted by the Chandigarh Smart City Limited.
Highlights of the Draft:
- Safe refuge points equipped with panic buttons for women cyclists.
- Parking space with roof outside offices.
- Half-a-day earned leave for every seven days cycled to work.
- The monetary incentive for a particular distance traveled.
- Increase in non-motorized transport lanes to reduce fear of accidents.
- Each government office/private body of all types must have a separate policy to encourage commuting to work by cycle.
- To enhance safety, safe refuge points for women and persons with disabilities should be created by introducing 24X7 CCTV surveillance and panic buttons.