State Of World Population Report 2023:
According to the recently released United Nations Population Fund’s (UNFPA) State of World Population report India will overtake China as the world’s most populous country this year.
Highlights of the Report:
- India’s total fertility rate, or births per woman, was estimated at 2, lower than the world average of 2.3.
- The average life expectancy for an Indian male was projected at 71 and 74 for females.
- The report also brought up worrying statistics regarding gender rights in India.
- The adolescent birth rate per 1,000 girls aged 15–19 was 11, while 23 per cent of girls were married off before the age of 18.
United Nations Population Fund’s (UNFPA):
- It is an international development agency created in 1968 to support the execution of projects and programmes in the area of population and sexual and reproductive health.
- Its mission is to deliver a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled.
- In 1987, it was officially renamed as the United Nations Population Fund but the original abbreviation UNFPA (United Nations Fund for Population Activities) was retained.
- Headquarters: New York