Sushil Chandra: Chief Election Commissioner (CEC)
The President appointed Election Commissioner Sushil Chandra as the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC).
- He replaces Sunil Arora who has retired.
About the Election Commission of India:
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering Union and State election processes in India.
- It was established in accordance with the Constitution on 25th January 1950 (celebrated as national voters’ day).
- The secretariat of the commission is located in New Delhi.
- The body administers elections to the Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, and State Legislative Assemblies in India, and the offices of the President and Vice President in the country.
- It is not concerned with the elections to panchayats and municipalities in the states.
- For this, the Constitution of India provides for a separate State Election Commission.