First Supermoon Of 2023:
As per Scientists, the first supermoon of 2023, which will be seen in July, will appear brighter in the night sky compared to any other full moon that has been witnessed this year.
- Supermoon occurs when the Moon’s orbit is closest to the Earth at the same time that the Moon is full.
- As the Moon orbits the Earth, there is a point of time when the distance between the two is the least (called the perigee when the average distance is about 360,000 km from the Earth) and a point of time when the distance is the most (called the apogee when the distance is about 405,000 km from the Earth).
- Now, when a full Moon appears at the point when the distance between the Earth and the Moon is the least, not only does it appear to be brighter but it is also larger than a regular full moon.
- The term “Supermoon” was coined by astrologer Richard Nolle in 1979, defining it as a special event when a full moon is within 90 percent of its closest point to Earth.
- In a typical year, there may be two to four full supermoons and two to four new supermoons in a row.