The Jan Vishwas (Amendment of Provisions) Bill 2023:
The Jan Vishwas (Amendment of Provisions) Bill 2023 is set to be taken up during the ongoing Monsoon Session of the Parliament.
- The Bill was tabled in Parliament by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry (December 2022) and then referred to a Joint Parliamentary Committee.
Provisions of the Bill:
- Decriminalising: 180 offences across 42 laws governing environment, agriculture, media, industry and trade, etc.
Completely remove/ replace imprisonment clauses: With monetary fines.
- Compounding of offences in some provisions.
- Removes all offences and penalties under the Indian Post Office Act, 1898.
- Changes in grievance redressal mechanisms: Appointment of one or more Adjudicating Officers for determining penalties.
- A periodic revision of fines and penalties: An increase of 10% of the minimum amount every 3 years for various offences in the specified Acts.
Objective of the Bill:
- To redefine the regulatory landscape of the country with decriminalisation of minor offences under 42 Acts.
- To reduce compliance burden and promote ease of living and doing business in the country.