Tramjatra Event : Moving Tram Carnival
Kolkata will witness an event that will celebrate 150 years of its iconic tram and renew hope that this non-polluting mode of transport does not become entirely extinct in February, 2023.
- Tramjatra (tram’s journey) is a moving tram carnival that was started back in 1996 jointly by enthusiasts from Melbourne and Kolkata.
- At the time, Kolkata, the only Indian city where the tram still runs, was home to about two dozen routes.
- Today the number of routes that remain operational has shrunk to just two.
- The 2023 event, therefore, will be more about impressing the West Bengal government to preserve the tram.
- Tramjatra is essentially an international collaboration of trammies, artists, environmentalists, and tram-loving communities.
- Theme for 2022: Heritage, Clean Air and Green Mobility
- Objective: It seeks to educate people, particularly the younger generation, about climate change, air pollution, and sustainable development objectives with a focus on green mobility and Kolkata’s tram legacy.