Unique Disability Identification Portal:
The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has issued a notification making it mandatory for all States/UTs to grant certificates of disability through online mode only using UDID (Unique Disability ID) portal.
Unique Disability Identification (UDID) Portal:
- The project is being implemented with the view of creating a National Database for persons with disabilities (PwDs), and issuing a Unique Disability Identity Card to each PwDs.
- The project will not only encourage transparency, efficiency, and ease of delivering the government benefits to the person with disabilities but also ensure uniformity.
- The project will also help in streamlining the tracking of the physical and financial progress of beneficiaries at all levels of the hierarchy of implementation – from village level, block level, District level, State level, and National level.
Right of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016:
- Right of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 replaces the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
- Disability has been defined based on an evolving and dynamic concept.
- It increases the quantum of reservation for people suffering from disabilities from 3% to 4% in government jobs and from 3% to 5% in higher education institutes.
- This Act brings our law in line with the United National Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD), to which India is a signatory.