United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP): 50th Anniversary:
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2022.
- UNEP Founded in 1972 following the landmark UN Conference on the Human Environment.
- UNEP was conceived to monitor the state of the environment, inform policy making with science and coordinate responses to the world’s environmental challenges.
- Major Reports: Emission Gap Report, Global Environment Outlook, Frontiers, Invest into Healthy Planet.
- Major Campaigns: Beat Pollution, UN75, World Environment Day, Wild for Life.
- Since its creation, UNEP has worked closely with its 193 Member States and other stakeholders to galvanize worldwide commitments and coordinated action to address many of the world’s most pressing environmental challenges.
- It also played a leading role as the docking station for 15 multilateral environmental agreements.