Universal Postal Union (UPU):
India has been elected to the Council of Administration (CA) at 27th Universal Postal Union (UPU) Congress in Abidjan. India was also elected with 106 votes out of 156 countries to the Postal Operations Council (POC) at the 27th UPU Congress in Abidjan.
- The Universal Postal Union (UPU) was established by the Treaty of Bern of 1874.
- It is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) that coordinates postal policies among member nations, in addition to the worldwide postal system.
- The UPU contains four bodies consisting of the Congress, the Council of Administration (CA), the Postal Operations Council (POC) and the International Bureau (IB).
- It also oversees the Telematics and Express Mail Service (EMS) cooperatives.
- The UPU’s headquarters are located in Bern, Switzerland.