UNSC’s Counter-Terrorism Meeting:
The UNSC’s counter-terrorism meeting will be hosted in Mumbai and Delhi on 28 and 29 October, respectively.
- This will be the first such meeting of the UNSC-CTC in India since its establishment in 2001.
- The Permanent Representative of India to the UN serves as the Chair of the CTC for 2022.
- The overarching theme of the meeting would be ‘countering the use of new and emerging technologies for terrorist purposes’.
- The Counter-Terrorism Committee was established by Security Council resolution 1373 adopted unanimously on 28 September 2001 in the wake of the 9/11 terror attacks in the US.
- The Committee was tasked with monitoring implementation of resolution 1373 which requested countries to implement a number of measures aimed at enhancing their legal and institutional ability to counter terrorist activities at home and around the world.
- This includes taking steps to criminalize the financing of terrorism, freezing any funds related to persons involved in acts of terrorism, deny all forms of financial support for terrorist groups, suppress the provision of safe haven, sustenance or support for terrorists and share information with other governments on any groups practicing or planning terrorist acts.
- Besides, the Committee monitors steps taken to cooperate with other governments in the investigation, detection, arrest, extradition and prosecution of those involved in terror acts and criminalizes active and passive assistance for terrorism.