International Day Of Women And Girls In Science:
The world celebrates the International Day of Women and Girls in Science every year on the 11th day of February.
- The year 2021 marked the 6th International Day of Women and Girls in Science.
- The day was celebrated under the theme “Women Scientists at the forefront of the fight against COVID-19″.
- The event was held at the United Nations Headquarters through video conferencing.
- The event marked the role of women who were at the frontline in the fight against COVID-19.
- The event also marked the discussion on the important part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development namely gender equality and science.
- The International Day of Women and Girls was started being observed by the United Nations through a resolution of the United Nations General Assembly that was passed on December 22, 2015.
- The day is celebrated to recognize the critical role that women and girls play in the field of science and technology.
- This day is implemented by UNESCO and UN Women.
- Various intergovernmental agencies, institutions, and civil society partners collaborate with UNESCO and UN Women.
- The day is observed with the aim to promote women and girls in science.
- It seeks to promote full and equal access to women and girls for participation in science.