International Day Of Women And Girls In Science:
The world celebrates the International Day of Women and Girls in Science every year on the 11th day of February.
- The year 2021 marked the 6th International Day of Women and Girls in Science.
- The day was celebrated under the theme “Women Scientists at the forefront of the fight against COVID-19″.
- The event was held at the United Nations Headquarters through video conferencing.
- The event marked the role of women who were at the frontline in the fight against COVID-19.
- The event also marked the discussion on the important part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development namely gender equality and science.
- The International Day of Women and Girls was started being observed by the United Nations through a resolution of the United Nations General Assembly that was passed on December 22, 2015.
- The day is celebrated to recognize the critical role that women and girls play in the field of science and technology.
- This day is implemented by UNESCO and UN Women.
- Various intergovernmental agencies, institutions, and civil society partners collaborate with UNESCO and UN Women.
- The day is observed with the aim to promote women and girls in science.
- It seeks to promote full and equal access to women and girls for participation in science.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking