The Prime Minister visited the exhibition models of the Aligarh node of the upcoming Uttar Pradesh Defence Industrial Corridor.
- It was announced by the Prime Minister while inaugurating the UP Investors Summit in Lucknow in 2018.
- The government has established another Defence Industrial Corridor in Tamil Nadu.
Defence Industrial Corridor of UP:
- It is an aspirational project that intends to reduce foreign dependency of the Indian Aerospace & Defence Sector.
- It will have 6 nodes – Aligarh, Agra, Kanpur, Chitrakoot, Jhansi and Lucknow.
- The Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA) is the nodal agency to execute this project in conjunction with various other state agencies.
- It aims to bring up the state as one of the largest & advanced Defence manufacturing hubs and put it on the world map.
- Single Window approvals and clearances to Defence and Aerospace (D&A) manufacturing units via Nivesh Mitra.
- Nivesh Mitra Portal has been launched by the Government of Uttar Pradesh to ease the Ease of Doing Business in the state.
- Labour Permits for D&A industry towards flexible employment conditions.
- Simple Procedures and rationalised regulatory regime with easy reimbursement of incentives and subsidies.
- Assured water supply and uninterrupted electricity.
- Connectivity with 4-lane heavy-duty highway.
About Defence Corridors:
- A defence corridor refers to a route or a path along which domestic productions of defence equipment by public sector, private sector and MSMEs are lined up to enhance the operational capability of the defence forces.
- It will help in making the nation self-reliant in the field of defense production and promoting ‘Make in India’, which will reduce our imports and promote the export of these items to other countries.
- It will provide a fillip to the defence manufacturing ecosystem through synergistic development of technologies, promote the growth of private domestic manufacturers, including MSMEs and Start-Ups.