Vinayak Damodar Savarkar Birth Anniversary:
PM Modi, Lok Sabha Speaker & various ministers pay floral tribute to Savarkar on his 140th birth anniversary.
- Born on 28th May in 1883 near Nasik in Maharashtra, Vinayak Damodar Savarkar was popularly called Veer Savarkar.
- Veer Savarkar was a freedom fighter .
- He called 1857 revolt as the first war of independence.
- He founded the following Organizations: Abhinav Bharat Society and Free India Society.
- He was also a member of India House. He was not the founder of Hindu Mahasabha, but he did served as its president.
- He opposed the Quit India struggle in 1942, calling it a “Quit India but keep your army” movement.
- Savarkar endorsed the ideal of India as a Hindu Rashtra and is credited with developing the Hindu nationalist political ideology Hindutva.
- He wrote the book ”Joseph Mazzini- Biography and Politics”.
- He published “The Indian War of Independence” about the Indian rebellion of 1857.
- The airport at Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar’s capital has been named Veer Savarkar International Airport.