Who Was Gangubai Kathiawadi?
A film starring actor Alia Bhatt is facing legal trouble after individuals claiming to be family members of the main protagonist, Gangubai Kathiawadi, have objected to her portrayal in the film.
- Gangubai Kathiawadi Known for One of Mumbai’s well-known and influential brothel owners in the 50s and 60s. She also fought for the welfare and rights of sex workers.
- She is said to have been sold to a brothel owner by her husband.
- She gradually ended up operating her own brothel.
- She is known to also have lobbied for the rights of commercial sex workers.
- Gangubai, apparently, lobbied with politicians on this issue.
Movie based on her life being opposed:
- Her adopted children have objected to her portrayal in the film and sought a stay on its release.
- The petitioners have said that the movie shows her as a ‘prostitute’ and a ‘mafia queen’.
- It claims that after the release of the film’s trailer, the women members of his family who live in the redlight areas of Kamathipura have been a victim of objectionable and abusive comments by men, affecting their reputation.