Women 20 Summit 2023:
As a part of India’s G20 Presidency, the Women 20 (W20) Summit with the theme ‘Women-Led Development- Transform, Thrive and Transcend’ held in Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu.
The summit aimed to celebrate the power of women empowerment and address key issues related to economic empowerment, trade and investment, and care economy.
Highlights of the W20 Summit:
- Discussions on breaking the invisible barriers and biases that prevent women from reaching higher positions and leadership roles in various fields were held.
- Government initiatives such as Self Help Groups(SHGs), PM Mudra Scheme and GeM portal which allow women access to market and finance are highlighted.
- Gender disparities in economic participation are highlighted as women often face inequalities in accessing economic opportunities, including financial resources, markets, and trade networks.
- Participants have discussed systemic barriers, such as lack of access to credit, limited property rights, and discriminatory practices, which hinder women’s economic empowerment.
- Celebration of strength, resilience, and progress in women’s empowerment was witnessed .
- W20 is an official engagement group under the G20.
- It was established in 2015 with the aim of focusing on gender equity and women’s empowerment.
- First W20 Summit was held during Turkey’s G20 Presidency in 2015.
- The group seeks to mainstream gender considerations into G20 discussions and translate them into policies and commitments.
- It influences the G20 agenda and promotes gender-sensitive approaches to various global challenges.