Women’s Day 2022: Theme
Women’s Day is celebrated every year around the world on March 8.
- Theme for International Women’s Day, 2022 (IWD 2022) is ‘Gender equality today for a sustainable tomorrow’.
- It attempts to recognise the “contribution of women and girls around the world, who are leading the charge on climate change adaptation, mitigation, and response, to build a more sustainable future for all”.
- IWD 2022 campaign theme is ‘#BreakTheBias’.
- It intends to promote a “gender equal world”, which is “free of bias, stereotypes, and discrimination”. “A world that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive”, and where “difference is valued and celebrated”.
- IWD has been celebrated for over a century now, but many people think of it purely as a feminist cause. Its roots, however, are found in the labour movement, wherein it was first organised in 1911 by the early 20th century Marxist from Germany Clara Zetkin.
- Purple, green and white are the colors of International Women’s Day.
- Purple signifies justice and dignity.
- Green symbolizes hope.
- White represents purity, albeit a controversial concept.