World Drug Date 2023:
The International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, or World Drug Day, is marked on 26 June every year
- It was decided by the United Nations General Assembly in 1987, to strengthen action and cooperation in achieving a world free of drug abuse.
- Theme for 2023: People first: stop stigma and discrimination, strengthen prevention.
- The aim of this year’s campaign is to raise awareness about the importance of treating people who use drugs with respect and empathy; providing evidence-based, voluntary services for all; offering alternatives to p unishment; prioritising prevention; and leading with compassion.
- The campaign also aims to combat stigma and discrimination against people who use drugs by promoting language and attitudes that are respectful and non-judgmental.
- Every year on 26th June, the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) also releases the World Drug Report.