World Governance Indicators : World Bank
The World Governance Indicators (WGI) has been released by the World Bank.
- WGI play a key role in deciding sovereign credit rating of any country.
- India is losing its sovereign credit rating due to low score in WGI parameters.
- The World Governance Indicators (WGI) are a research dataset that aggregates the opinions of a substantial number of corporate, citizen, and experts survey respondents from both developed and developing nations on the quality of governance.
- World Bank’s World Governance Indicators: It assesses 215 countries and territories based on a certain set of criteria.
- Voice and Accountability
- Political Stability and Absence of Violence
- Government Effectiveness
- Regulatory Quality
- Rule of Law
- Control of Corruption
- India’s WGI score is much below the BBB Median on all six indicators.
- While BBB is an investment-grade rating issued by global rating agencies such as S&P and Fitch.
- A WGI score below BBB Median would suggest that India falls below the middle when the scores of countries are arranged in a descending order.