World Menstrual Hygiene Day 2023 : Theme
On the occasion of World Menstrual Hygiene Day, Child Rights and You (CRY) an NGO released the findings of a study conducted to assess the awareness and knowledge of menstrual hygiene and health among adolescent girls in India.
- The study conducted for two months with the participation of nearly 4,000 girls aged 10-17 years from 38 districts across the country, sheds light on the perceptions, practices, and challenges faced by young girls regarding menstruation.
- World Menstrual Hygiene Day, also known as Menstrual Hygiene Day, is an annual global advocacy day celebrated on May 28th.
- The day aims to raise awareness and promote good menstrual hygiene management (MHM) practices worldwide.
- Menstrual Hygiene Day is observed on the 28th day of the fifth month.
- Represents the average length of the menstrual cycle, which is often around 28 days.
- Symbolizes the average duration of menstruation, which lasts around five days each month.
- Started in 2013 by Germany-based NGO WASH United.
- Initially launched as a 28-day social media campaign to raise awareness about menstruation.
- Positive response led to the establishment of Menstrual Hygiene Day on May 28, 2014.
- Theme for 2023: “Making menstruation a normal fact of life by 2030.”