Today Current Affairs: 26th October 2022 for UPSC IAS exams, State PSC exams, SSC CGL, State SSC, RRB, Railways, Banking Exam & IBPS, etc
Table of Contents
Tiger Triumph Exercise:
The Tiger Triumph exercise was jointly conducted by the United States and Indian militaries in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The “Tiger Triumph” tabletop simulation was organized at India’s Eastern Naval Command in Visakhapatnam from October 18 to 20 this year.
- It is a comprehensive endeavor of the Indian and US military and diplomatic representatives to provide coordinated disaster relief to a notional third country hit by a super-cyclone.
- Tiger Triumph exercise sought to improve interoperability between India and the US and create a multinational command and control model for humanitarian assistance in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
- Its objective was to streamline diplomatic, operational, and logistical coordination between the two countries while responding to disasters.
- 50 individuals from India and the United States took part in this exercise.
- The 2022 edition of the Tiger Triumph exercise is the second joint exercise between India and the US focusing on disaster relief.
- It is the first tri-services exercise between US and India. It was organized under the aegis of the Integrated Defence Staff headquarters.
- The 2022 Tiger Triumph marks the third time this year that the Indian and the US militaries are involved in a joint exercise in Visakhapatnam.
Like-Minded Developing Countries (LMDC):
18 Like-Minded Developing Countries (LMDC), who usually present a common front at climate negotiations issued a statement.
- The COP 27 is scheduled to be held at Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt in November this year.
- The LMDC statement reiterated about the inequity in fund allocations for global warming mitigation efforts.
- The questions are being raised about the net zero emissions plans of several countries, and critics have alleged that these projects are a subterfuge for postponing immediate action.
- There are fears that the Paris Plans’ target for a New Quantified Goal on Climate Finance could be delayed beyond 2025.
- The Like Minded-Group of Developing Countries (LMDC) is a group of developing countries which have a similar stand in the United Nations climate negotiations.
- The LMDC organise themselves as a block negotiators in international organizations such as the United Nations and the World Trade Organization.
- The LMDC group which represents about 50 per cent of the world’s population.
Member of the LMDC:
- Bangladesh, Algeria, Bhutan, Belarus, Cuba, China, India, Egypt, Iran, Indonesia, Malaysia, Nepal, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, the Philippines, Syria, Sudan, Vietnam, and Zimbabwe.
Dirty Bomb Attack : Russia -Ukraine War
Russia intends to raise at the United Nations Security Council its accusation that Ukraine is planning a “dirty bomb” attack.
- Russia has warned that the use of the “dirty bomb” by Ukraine will be regarded as an act of nuclear terrorism.
- Earlier, the General Assembly voted to condemn Russia’s “ illegal annexation” of four partially occupied regions in Ukraine.
- A dirty bomb combines radioactive material with explosives.
- Aim: To cause harm by spreading radioactive material that can contaminate an area and poison the human body.
- Different from a nuclear bomb which utilises radioactive materials to create an explosion.
- Material used in Dirty Bomb:
- like Cobalt-60(High-energy gamma emitters)
The Sukapaika River which stopped flowing 70 years ago, is set to be rejuvenated as the Odisha government has started working on its revival plan following a recent direction from the National Green Tribunal (NGT).
- Sukapaika is one of the several distributaries of the mighty Mahanadi river in Odisha.
- It branches away from the Mahanadi at Ayatpur village in Cuttack district and flows for about 40 kilometres (km) before rejoining its parent river at Tarapur in the same district.
- Sukapaika river is an important system of the Mahanadi to control floodwater and maintain the flow in the river as well as the Bay of Bengal.
New Species Of The Genus Allmania:
A new species of the genus Allmania named Allmania multiflora has been identified.
- Allmania multiflora grows to a height of about 60 cm and is only the second species of this genus discovered to date.
- The first species, Allmania nodiflora, was originally published under the genus Celosia as Celosia nodiflora in 1753. Specimens found in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) were first described as Allmania nodiflora in 1834.
- Shorter tepals and wider gynoecium (parts of the flower), shorter bracts and in the diameter of the seeds are among the characteristics that distinguishes it from Allmania nodiflora.
- Flowering and fruiting occurs from May to September.
- The species is quite special from both the botanical and conservation points of view.
- Allmania multiflora has been so named for having a higher number of florets within an inflorescence.
- Allmania multiflora is an annual herb, erect, with branches arising from the base.
- The stem is red to violet at the base and green above.
- Protection Status:
- IUCN: Critically Endangered.
77th Anniversary Of The United Nations:
The World has celebrated the 77th anniversary of the United Nations(UN) on 24th October 2022.
- The United Nations (UN) is an international organization founded in 1945.
- It has currently 193 Member States.
- Its mission and work are guided by the purposes and principles contained in its founding Charter and implemented by its various organs and specialised agencies.
- Its activities include maintaining international peace and security, protecting human rights, delivering humanitarian aid, promoting sustainable development and upholding international law.
- The UN Charter of 1945 is the foundational treaty of the United Nations, as an intergovernmental organization.
- Components: All the 6 were established in 1945 when the UN was founded.
- General Assembly
- Security Council
- Economic and Social Council
- Trusteeship Council
- International Court of Justice
- UN Secretariat.