Today’s Current Affairs: 6th May 2023 for UPSC IAS exams, State PSC exams, SSC CGL, State SSC, RRB, Railways, Banking Exam & IBPS, etc
Table of Contents
Nationwide Animal Husbandry, Dairying, And Fisheries (AHDF) KCC Campaign:
As part of the Aazadi Ka Amrit Mahostav celebrations, the Union Ministry for Fisheries, Animal husbandry and Dairying has launched the Nationwide Animal Husbandry, Dairying, and Fisheries (AHDF) KCC Campaign from 1st May 2023 to 31st March 2024.
- The campaign aims to expand the benefits of the Kisan Credit Card (KCC) to all eligible animal husbandry, dairy, and fishery farmers in the country.
- The campaign will provide credit facilities to small landless farmers engaged in animal husbandry and fisheries activities.
- During the campaign, District Level KCC Camps will be organized every week by the KCC Coordination Committee coordinated by Lead District Manager (LDM) for on-the-spot scrutiny of applications sourced by the officials of the State Animal Husbandry and Fisheries department from the farmers.
Listeria Contamination : Cadbury Chocolates:
Cadbury recalls chocolates in the UK over listeria contamination fears
- Listeria infection is a foodborne bacterial illness.
- It is typically caused by foods infected with the Listeria monocytogenes bacteria.
- The bacteria exist in the environment.
- It is found in water, soil and some animals’ intestines.
- Listeria bacteria can survive refrigeration and even freezing.
- Symptoms:- Fever,Chills,Muscle aches
Global Report On Food Crises 2023:
The Global Report on Food Crises (GRFC) for 2023 reveals that the number of people suffering from acute food insecurity has increased, with over 258 million people across 58 countries and territories facing acute hunger.
- Global Report on Food Crisis is an annual report to achieve a consensus-based assessment of acute food insecurity in the world
- Released by Food Security Information Network (FSIN) and Global Network against Food Crises (GNAFC).
- FSIN is a global initiative co-sponsored by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), World Food Programme (WFP), and International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) to strengthen food and nutrition security information systems for producing reliable and accurate data to guide analysis and decision-making.
- GNAFC is an alliance of humanitarian and development actors founded by the European Union, FAO, and WFP in 2016 to prevent, prepare for and respond to food crises and support the Sustainable Development Goal to End Hunger (SDG 2)
- The number of people experiencing acute food insecurity increased for the fourth consecutive year in 2022
- Acute Food Insecurity refers to a situation where a person’s or household’s access to adequate food and nutrition is severely limited, resulting in a high risk of starvation or death.
14th Petersberg Dialogue On Climate Change:
The Petersberg Dialogue on Climate Change was held in Berlin.
- The 14th Petersberg Dialogue on Climate Change was hosted by Germany and the United Arab Emirates.
- UAE would be hosting the 28th Conference of Parties (COP28) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Objective is to discuss the way forward towards COP28
- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres emphasised the need for “cleaning up economies of the developed countries by breaking their fossil fuel addiction and driving decarbonisation in every sector to achieve a 1.5-degree global warming pathway.
- He reiterated his earlier call for an Acceleration Agenda, where “all countries hit fast-forward on their Net Zero deadlines
- .Discussions around a potential global target for renewables at the next climate conference.
- Possibility of an agreement on a global target for renewables and energy efficiency among the G7 countries.
- It was stated that developed countries are “on a good track” to deliver the $100 billion per year as promised to mobilise by 2020 during the COP15 in 2009
- 2023 is the year for the Global Stocktake.
- Global Stocktake: a periodic review of global climate action.
- It aims to assess whether current efforts will enable us to reach the objectives set out in the Paris Agreement.
- This is the first Global Stocktake year since the Paris Agreement was signed in 2015.
- The report is set to be released in September of 2023.
Supreme Audit Institutions (SAls) Of G20 countries:
The Comptroller & Auditor General of India (CAG) will chair SAI20 – the Engagement Group for Supreme Audit Institutions (SAls) of G20 countries in Goa.
- The SAI20 Engagement Group of G20 was established in 2022 during Indonesia’s Presidency of the G20.
- The constitution of SAI20 stems from a recognition of the role of SAIs in –
- Promoting the efficiency, accountability, and transparency of public administration, and supporting SDG implementation.
- Promoting intergenerational equity and addressing climate change concerns.
- Two priorities for SAI20 deliberations: Blue economy and responsible Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- The global annual value of the blue/ocean economy is ~$2.5 trillion.
- About 90% of global trade by volume [75% by value] is carried out through sea routes.
- Preparation of technology-driven tools to assess authorised development in coastal stretches and track marine water quality.
Pregnant Tigress Died : Mukundra Hills Tiger Reserve
A nine-year-old full-term pregnant tigress suffering from severe constipation recently died at the Mukundra Hills Tiger Reserve (MHTR) during treatment.
- Mukundra Hills Tiger Reserve popularly known as Darrah Wildlife Sanctuary, is spread across 4 districts – Bundi, Kota, Jhalawar & Chittorgarh in Rajasthan.
- The park is situated in a valley formed by two parallel mountains viz. Mukundra and Gargola.
- It is consisting of three wildlife sanctuaries: Darrah wildlife sanctuary, Chambal wildlife sanctuary and Jaswant Sagar wildlife sanctuary.
- This tiger reserve was once a hunting preserve belonging to the Maharaja of Kota.
- It is located on the eastern bank of the Chambal River and is drained by its tributaries.
- The important fauna includes Leopard, Sloth bear, Nilgai, Chinkara, Spotted Deer, Small Indian Civet, Toddy Cat, Jackal, Hyena, Jungle Cat, Common Langur etc.
- The common reptiles and amphibians are Pythons, Rat Snake, Buff-striped keelbacks, Green keelback, crocodiles, Gharial, Otter and Turtles
Buddha Purnima : Celebrated On 5th May 2023
It not only marks the day when Gautam Buddha was born but also the day when he attained Nirvana under the Mahabodhi tree at Bodh Gaya.
- Lord Buddha was born as Prince Siddhartha Gautama on the full moon day in 563 BC at Lumbini in Nepal.
- In Hinduism, Buddha is considered as the ninth avatar of Lord Vishnu.
- His birth anniversary is also known as Vaisakhi Buddha Purnima or Vesak.
- This day is commemorated by Buddhists and Hindus all over the world and is a major festival in countries like India, Nepal, Bhutan, Burma, Thailand, Tibet, China, Korea, Laos, Vietnam, Mongolia, Cambodia, Singapore, Indonesia and Sri Lanka.
Khelo India University Games 2022 : Launched Logo, Jersey, Mascot, Torch And Anthem
Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Anurag Thakur and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched the Logo, jersey, mascot, torch and anthem of the Khelo India University Games (KIUG) 2022 in Lucknow recently.
- The 3rd edition of the Khelo India University Games will take place from May 23 to June 3.
- The opening ceremony is scheduled for May 25 at the Babu Banarasi Das University in Lucknow.
- The KIUG 2022 Games will be held in Varanasi, Noida and Gorakhpur, besides the state capital of Lucknow.
- The Shooting competition will be organized in New Delhi at the Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range.
- For the First time, water sports such as Rowing will be a part of the Khelo India University Games.
- Two indigenous Sports Disciplines namely Mallakhamb and Yogasana, were part of the last edition of the Khelo India University Games held in Karnataka and will also be part of this edition.
Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port: Inaugural Shipment
Minister of State for Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Shantanu Thakur flagged off an inaugural shipment from Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port in Kolkata to operationalise the Sittwe Port in Myanmar.
- Port of Kolkata or Kolkata Port, officially known as Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port Trust (Formerly Kolkata Port Trust), is the only riverine major port of India, located in the city of Kolkata, West Bengal, around 203 kilometres from the sea.
- It is the oldest operating port in India and was constructed by the British East India Company in 1870.
- Kolkata is a freshwater port with no variation in salinity.
- The port has two distinct dock systems — Kolkata Docks at Kolkata and a deep water dock at Haldia Dock Complex, Haldia.
Syama Prasad Mukherjee:
- Syama Prasad Mukherjee (1901 – 1953) was an Indian politician, barrister and academician.
- He served as the Minister for Industry and Supply in Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru’s cabinet.
- He quit the Union Government because of differences of opinion with the Nehru-led government and founded the Bharatiya Jana Sangh, the predecessor to the Bharatiya Janata Party, in 1951.