What Is GRAP?
Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM) has recently said that GRAP will be enforced in Delhi NCR with immediate effect to combat deteriorating AQI in the region.
- A graded Response Action Plan is a set of emergency measures that kick in to prevent further deterioration of air quality once it reaches a certain threshold
- It is based on a plan that was submitted by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) in November 2016.
- The GRAP was first notified in January 2017 by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
- Stage 1 of GRAP is activated when the AQI is in the ‘poor’ category (201 to 300).
- The second, third and fourth stages will be activated three days ahead of the AQI reaching the ‘very poor’ category (301 to 400), ‘severe’ category (401 to 450) and ‘severe +’ category (above 450)