13th Extension To The Justice Rohini Commission:
The Union Cabinet gave the 13th extension to the Justice Rohini Commission, to examine sub-categorisation of Other Backward Classes (OBCs) and submit its report by 31st January 2023.
- The initial deadline to submit the commission’s report was 12 weeks — by 2nd January, 2018.
- The commission was set up on 2nd October, 2017 under Article 340 of the Constitution.
- It was tasked with sub-categorisation of the Other Backward Classes (OBCs) and equitable distribution of benefits reserved for them.
- In 2015, the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) had recommended that OBCs should be categorised into extremely backward classes, more backward classes and backward classes.
- NCBC has the authority to examine complaints and welfare measures regarding socially and educationally backward classes.
- Commission’s Terms of References:
- To examine the uneven distribution of reservation benefits among different castes in the central OBC list.
- To work out the mechanism, criteria, norms and parameters in a scientific approach for sub-categorisation within such OBCs.
- To take up the exercise of identifying the respective castes/communities/sub-castes/synonyms for comprehensive data coverage.
- To study and recommend correction of any repetitions, ambiguities, inconsistencies and errors of spelling or transcription.