Union Minister of social Justice and empowerment Dr. Virendra Kumar launched the Scheme “SHRESHTA”-Scheme for residential education for students in High school in Targeted Areas.
- The Scheme will be beneficial for SC students those who could not reach for higher quality education.
- It provides for high quality education for meritorious but poor SC students in CBSE-affiliated reputed residential schools across the country.
- Approximately 3,000 seats are provided each year for admission in class 9th and 11th and the entire cost of the school fee and residential charges are borne by the Department.
- The students, belonging to Scheduled Castes, studying in class 8th and 10th in the current academic year are eligible for availing the benefits of scheme are selected through a transparent mechanism through a National Entrance Test for SHRESHTA (NETS), which is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for admission in class 9th and 11th.
- Students belonging to marginalized income group within the SC community, whose parental annual income is upto Rs.2.5 Lakh are eligible.
- Successful candidates, after following the e-counselling process, are given admission in the school of their choice anywhere in the Country for their academic persuasion.
- The Department shall bear the total cost of the school fee and hostel charges till completion of their academic upto class 12th.
- There after the students of the scheme may avail benefits of other schemes of the Department for their higher education.