59th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Rezang La:
November 18 marks the 59th anniversary of the Battle of Rezang La. A memorial was inaugurated on the occasion.
- Rezang La is a mountain pass on the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh.
- It is located between village of Chushul and the Spanggur Lake that stretches across both Indian and Chinese territories.
- It had also been the site of a heroic battle on 18 November 1962.
About the battle:
- Troops from the 13 Kumaon Regiment defeated several waves of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army in 1962.
- Despite being heavily outnumbered, soldiers of the regiment fought to the last man standing, under freezing temperatures, and with limited ammunition.
Significance of the region:
- Rezang La is vital for the defence of the crucially important Chushul. Any invader reaching there would have had a free run to Leh.