Sharad A. Bobde Recommendation:
Chief Justice of India Sharad A. Bobde has recommended Justice N.V. Ramana, the senior-most judge of the Supreme Court, as the next top judge.
- Justice Ramana is now set to take over as the 48th Chief Justice of India from April 24.
Appointment of CJI:
- The Chief Justice of India is traditionally appointed by the outgoing Chief Justice of India on the day of his (or her) retirement.
- By convention, the outgoing Chief Justice of India selects the most senior then-sitting Supreme Court judge.
- Seniority at the apex court is determined not by age, but by:
- The date a judge was appointed to the Supreme Court.
- If two judges are elevated to the Supreme Court on the same day:
- The one who was sworn in first as a judge would trump another.
- If both were sworn in as judges on the same day, the one with more years of high court service would ‘win’ in the seniority stakes.