Asian Games 2023 : India’s Medals Tally
The 19th Asian Games (of 2022, held in 2023) came to a close at the Hangzhou Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (also called Big Lotus) in China. Hockey player PR Sreejesh was India’s flagbearer at the parade of athletes.
India’s Medals Tally:
- With 107 medals (28 gold, 38 silvers and 41 bronze), India set a new benchmark for themselves at the Asian Games 2023 in Hangzhou, the People’s Republic of China.
- At the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, India performed well and returned with 70 medals, including a haul of 16 gold medals.
- It was the first time in Asian Games history that India’s medals tally crossed the three-figure mark. By doing so, they became the only fourth country after China (383), Japan (188) and the Republic of Korea (190) to win 100 or more medals in a single edition of the Asian Games.
- Athletics turned out to be the most productive sport with a total of 29 medals – six gold, 14 silver and nine bronze.
- The India men’s hockey team won an Asian Games gold and booked a Paris Olympics berth with a 5-1 thrashing of Japan.