World Spice Congress 2023:
The Secretary to the Spices Board of India said that World Spice Congress 2023 will be held in Mumbai from 16-18 February 2023.
- Theme : VISION 2030: S-P-I-C-E-S (Sustainability, Productivity, Innovation, Collaboration, Excellence and Safety).
- Policymakers, regulatory authorities, spice trade associations, government officials as well as technical experts from key G20 countries will participate in the event.
- Maharashtra has been chosen as a venue because
- It is one of the leading states producing spices. It is the largest producer of turmeric in India.
- Maharashtra produces two GI-tagged turmeric varieties and one GI-tagged chilli variety. Coastal areas of Maharashtra are also known for the production of GI-tagged Kokum.
- Spices Board was constituted on 26th February 1987 under the Spices Board Act 1986 with the merger of the erstwhile Cardamom Board (1968) and Spices Export Promotion Council (1960).
- It is functioning under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
World Spice Congress:
- It was planned and conceived in 1990 as a forum for discussion and interaction between the importers and exporters of spices.
- Since its inception it has been Organized under the leadership of the Spices Board, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India.