The Attukal Pongala falls on the ninth day of the annual ten-day festival at the Attukal Bhagavathy Temple, Thiruvananthapuram.
- It is one of the world’s largest gatherings of women.
- Pongala is a ten-day-long festival of Attukal Bhagavathy Temple.
- The festival commences with the musical rendering of the story of the Goddess (Kannaki Charitam) during the “Kappu Kettu ceremony”.
- The story invokes the presence of Kodungallur Bhagavathy and the slaying of the Pandyan King.
- This festival commemorates the victory of Good over Evil, by the slaying of the Pandyan King.
- Attukal Bhagavathy temple is dedicated to Goddess Bhagavathy.
- Also known as, “the Sabarimala of Women”, this temple attracts the biggest set of women devotees for the annual Attukal Pongala festival.