Bal Gangadhar Tilak Birth Anniversary:
The Prime Minister of India has paid tributes to Bal Gangadhar Tilak on his Jayanti on 23rd July,2023.
- Bal Gangadhar Tilak, born on 23rd July 1856, was a freedom fighter, lawyer, and educationist known as Lokmanya Tilak.
Founder of the Deccan Education Society in 1884, he also established the Fergusson College in 1885.
- Tilak emphasized the need for self-rule or swarajya and popularized the slogan “Swaraj is my birthright and I shall have it!”
- Tilak joined the Indian National Congress in 1890 and played a significant role in the Surat Split in 1907, advocating complete independence or swarajya.
- He propagated the Swadeshi and Boycott Movement to promote Indian self-reliance.
- Tilak founded the All-India Home Rule League in April 1916, aiming for Hindu-Muslim unity through the Lucknow Pact in 1916.
- He was Known for his newspapers Kesari (Marathi) and Mahratta (English) and authored books like Gita Rhasya and Arctic Home of the Vedas.
- Bal Gangadhar Tilak passed away on 1st August 1920, leaving behind a significant contribution to India’s freedom movement.