Bamboo Crash Barrier:
The world’s first 200-meter-long Bamboo Crash Barrier, named Bahu Balli, has been installed on the Vani-Warora Highway in Maharashtra, India.
- The bamboo species used is Bambusa Balcoa, which has been treated with creosote oil and coated with recycled High-Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE).
- It Will create more avenues for the bamboo industry in India and it provides an alternative to steel barriers, addresses environmental concerns, and is a rural and agriculture-friendly industry.
- Bamboos are a diverse group of mostly evergreen perennial flowering grasses (it is no longer considered a ‘tree’ in India).
- Madhya Pradesh is the largest producer of bamboo in India.
- More than 50% of the bamboo species are found in northeast India alone.
- China has the largest diversity (India’s the 2nd largest) and is the largest producer of Bamboo in the world.
- India is the 2nd largest producer of Bamboo in the world.