BharOS : Mobile Operating System
BharOS, an indigenous mobile operating system was developed by JandK Operations Private Limited, a non-profit organization incubated at IIT Madras and funded by the Department of Science and Technology.
Features of BharOS:
- BharOS is a mobile operating system similar to Android or iOS; it is based on an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) operating system and does not use any Google apps or services.
- It would support Native Over The Air (NOTA) updates as well as No Default Apps (NDA).
- It has a minimalistic home screen with the Indian flag, a list of app categories, and a selection of apps that have passed the OS’s trust and security standards.
- It will employ the Private App Store Services (PASS) system to examine and curate apps that are safe for users.
- These systems enable smartphone users to interact with their devices and access their features while also ensuring their safety.
- The current version of BharOS includes third-party apps such as DuckDuckGo and Signal by default.