Diagnostic Test For Chytridiomycosis:
Scientists developed a diagnostic test for Chytridiomycosis.
- Chytridiomycosis is a fungal disease in frog populations.
- It has caused severe declines in over 500 frog species and led to 90 extinctions, making it the deadliest animal disease known.
- It infects frogs skin.
- This damages their ability to balance water and salt levels.
- The disease originated in Asia,It spread globally through amphibian trade and travel.
- Mortality rate- extremely high.
- Some amphibian species have some form of natural immune resistance and do not become sick when they carry the fungus.
- This Immunity might come from anti-microbial chemicals within the skin, symbiotic bacteria on the skin, white blood cells and antibodies in the blood, or combinations of these mechanisms.
- So far, no clear trend has been found between resistance and immune function.