The National Green Tribunal (NGT) ordered Madhya Pradesh government to stop the operation of cruise vessels as well as other motor-propelled boats in the Bhoj wetland.
- Bhoj wetland consists of two contiguous human-made reservoirs, the upper and lower lakes, located in the city of Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- The Upper lake is called Bhojtal (Bada Talaab) and the Lower Lake is known as Chhota Talaab.
- The lakes are very rich in biodiversity, particularly for macrophytes, phytoplankton and zooplankton.
- It has more than 15 kinds of fish and several vulnerable species, including turtles, amphibians and aquatic invertebrates.
- It was designated as the Ramsar site in 2002.
National Green Tribunal (NGT):
- The National Green Tribunal has been established under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010.
- New Delhi is the Principal Place of Sitting of the Tribunal, and Bhopal, Pune, Kolkata and Chennai shall be the other four places of sitting of the Tribunal.
- NGT is mandated to make disposal of applications or appeals finally within 6 months of the filing of the same.