Calixcoca Vaccine : Treatment For Cocaine
Scientists in Brazil have developed a groundbreaking treatment for cocaine and crack addiction in the form of a vaccine named “Calixcoca.”
- This innovative vaccine aims to disrupt the effects of cocaine by triggering an immune response in the body
- Calixcoca functions by inducing an immune response that generates antibodies capable of binding to cocaine molecules in the bloodstream.
- This binding process results in the enlargement of cocaine molecules, rendering them too large to pass into the brain’s “reward center” or mesolimbic system.
- This area of the brain is typically stimulated by cocaine to release dopamine, the pleasure-inducing neurotransmitter.
- Consequently, individuals who receive the vaccine will not experience the desired euphoric effects of cocaine, potentially assisting them in breaking the cycle of addiction.